Vision is a 501 (c) 3 not-for-profit organization that educates, advocates, plans, designs, and provides technical assistance on Smart Growth projects. We bring the best practices of community design together with experts, stakeholders, and decision makers to advance quality growth and preservation on LI.
Vision joins with others to promote more liveable, economically sustainable and environmentally responsible growth on Long Island through Smart Growth. Smart Growth focuses on infill, re-development and open space preservation. It supports mixed-use, mixed-income communities that are convenient, attractive, pedestrian-friendly and make affordable housing and public transportation desirable and realistic. A key objective is to strengthen communities from the start by actively involving local stakeholders in planning.
- Comprehensive planning involving all stakeholders to yield consensus-based visions addressing long- and short-term needs of communities and the region as a whole
- Land use decisions that incorporate economic development considerations including the need for workforce housing, environmental concerns and a broad array of quality-of-life issues
- Compact development that is pedestrian-friendly, reduces automobile dependency and is focused around existing or newly designed transportation centers
- Zoning codes, land-use regulations and street design standards that enable and provide adequate incentives to facilitate Smart Growth development
Implementing Smart Growth on Long Island
- Smart Growth Education and Training: Delivering over 1,700 presentations to government, business and community groups
- Smart Growth Advocacy and Policy Development: Ongoing advocacy in Albany and Washington in the area of transportation, sewer infrastructure, green energy and economic development helping to shape more than 50 code, policy and regulatory changes. These efforts culminate in broadly supported “Blueprints for Smart Growth,” informing planning regionwide
- SmartTalk – our e-newsletter reaches 20,000 Long Islanders weekly. Social media efforts include a presence on Facebook and Twitter and a new iPhone and iPad app.
- Community Visioning and Charrette Planning: Work in 19 communities on visionings, charrettes & the advancement of community projects. Communities include: Hicksville, Riverhead, Huntington, Mastic/Shirley, Coram/Middle Island, Rocky Point, Farmingdale, Shoreham, Mt. Sinai, Bay Shore, Gordon Heights, Oyster Bay, Kings Park, Yaphank, Mastic Beach, Southampton and Lake Ronkonkoma/West Farmingville
- Design and Technical Assistance: Implementing downtown, commercial corridor and infill development plans. Key projects include affordable housing, addressing gentrification, clean energy and green building
- Convening Regional Leadership and Smart Growth: Hosting the Smart Growth Summit, Smart Growth Awards and special worksessions; Organizing the Smart Growth Working Group, Long Island Lobby Day Coalition & Long Island Business Council